Tuesday, July 7, 2009

alex from tajikistan



My name is Alex. I’m 24. I was born and grew up in a normal Tajikistan family without a father. I don’t know anything about my father, who he is, where he is from or where he is. I have never known the love of a father. There were three people in our family, my mom, my brother and myself. My mother raised us alone.

Because of that it was difficult for my mother to raise us. She sent me to a special school where I could study and live at the same place. From 1990 till 1992 there was a civil war in Tajikistan. Though the war has ended the situation in the country is not good. This time was especially difficult not only for my family but also for most people in the country. During this time our family was hungry often. There were times when I went three days with nothing to eat, lying in a bed and hoping for a miracle.

At this time, no one in our family believed in God, but I remember well when my mom without losing hope knelt and prayed a prayer “Our Father”. My brother could not endure this and he began to steal. After stealing from a shop my brother was arrested by the police and he was sent to prison for 6 years.

Approximately 6 months after that, my mom became seriously ill. She was treated at home because we had no money to take her to the hospital. . I saw how my mom became worse and worse everyday. It hurt me that I could not help my mother. After some months she died. The Hospital took my mother and I never saw her again. I was 13 years old and I remained absolutely alone.

My brother was still in prison at this time. Thank God that at the time I still went to school, so I had a place to live. Before leaving school my brother was released from prison and had become a Christian because there were missionaries from our church who went to the prisons to share the Bible. When the school year was over I had no place to go. My brother told me about God and about church and that at church there was a rehabilitation centre.

I remember the first time when I went to Sunday service and heard the Word of God for the first time. It touched my heart and I confessed. It was on August, 5th, 2001, this was also my birthday. And this day I celebrate my second birth. In 2003 I was baptized. I began to participate in various church services, sang in teenage chorus, then in youth and in adult choir on Sunday services. At present I sing in the youth choir and I am in a sports ministry with children.

In my life there was another tragedy. Last year my brother died from kidney failure. He was 28 years old. He was my last relative and he was for me like father and mother. It was one more huge loss in my life, but God has allowed me strength to live for Him and to serve Him. And I know precisely that my brother is now with God. I am grateful to God that He has led me to Himself. Since that first day I was introduced to God I have never regretted that I am a Christian.

At church there is a rehabilitation center for children who need help. Looking at them I remember myself when I was the same small child. When we lived in the rehabilitation centre our church helped us.

I wish to express gratitude to The Hanna Project and to you for helping us renovate our present rehabilitation centre which is in total ruins. When completed, it will house 35 kids, taking them off the streets and giving them a chance like I was given.

Recently I personally had the opportunity to work with a team from The Hanna Project on the center. For all of us it was a big blessing, especially for children who will live there. I saw happy faces on our children. After the building is completed the children can live, study in good conditions and serve our Lord. God bless you! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my story with you.

No comments: