Saturday, March 14, 2009

“.. the blessing of your weakness is it forces you into friendships”

The quote above is from Bono, the lead singer for U2. I listened to the new U2 album for free online the other day. You can too by clicking here. I like U2 and most of this latest offering is really good. It has been labeled by many as their "most Christian effort" to date. Not sure if I am qualified to make that assesment, but read some of the lyrics and I can see why some say that. In particular "Magnificent" would fit nice in any churches Sunday line up.

But here is my question - how will Christian's view this? As some greedy move by Bono and his band to grab a portion of the Christian music market $$$? Will it just pass by without notice. Or will some of us begin to question (and maybe drop) our judgmental view of pop culture - maybe even try to understand the tatooed or pierced person living across the street or serving our meal. Dare I say be compassionate and show love. To use an overused phrase, what would Jesus do......

One more quote from the lead singer of the band "The true life of a believer is one of a longer, more hazardous or uphill pilgrimage, and where you uncover slowly the sort of illumination for your next step. Religious people, generally, they freak me out. Honestly, I start twitching when I'm around them. But sometimes, maybe weirdos are the only people who really know they need God”

Weirdo hmmmm, Bono also said "I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity”

I guess weakness does force you into friendships - the first one should be a friendship with Jesus - which I guess makes me a weirdo...I'm ok with that.

No comments: