Wednesday, March 4, 2009

loss of innocence in generation z




I can remember the days where watching a solid hour of television meant hoping that I could go to my friend's house to watch their TV that had cable! Not just cable, but the special channel called Nickelodeon. The Nick show was most famous for presenting a game and the loser of the game would have to sit down and be "slimed" by the infamous green slush. Recently, I ran across an article on http://www.churchrelevance.com/ that updated me on this years Nickelodeon Awards: surely it must have lots of hand outs to people like Barney, Diego, and Wonder Girl. But it looks like the "target audience" has changed just a little. According to the Nickelodeon Awards 2009 the "Kids Choice Awards" go to: Beyonce, Chris Brown, Katy Perry, and the Pussycat Dolls. These "choice" singers include lines like: “Now take it off while I watch you perform"...Let’s get and make love on Venus.” “I kissed a girl just to try it. I hope my boyfriend don’t mind it....and “I can get off when you ain’t around.” In fact, one author goes on to say that now in the UK 44% of parents sing their pop songs and TV themes rather than nursery rhymes. (Or better yet Scripture memory!) So the big question is what is filling the memory of the minds of our children? What do you spend time singing while getting them ready for bed or cleaning up from the day? Do you hear your child singing songs that remind them of God and his characteristics or more about the culture and its values? At Rejoice, we constantly try to help our families find ways to teach our babies, kids, and teens the greatness of God while we are driving to school, eating at the table, playing in the living room, and going to bed! This is always better than getting "slimed" by the wrong "choice" awards.

No comments: